[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Video Acceleration Question (h.264)

doug at fawnanddoug.com doug at fawnanddoug.com
Thu Aug 13 13:54:14 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have a Mac Mini (Intel core 2) that runs a MythTv frontend (ubuntu).  It
can playback video from my HDHomeRun (which I believe is 1080 mpeg2) just
fine.  It can also playback video from my HD-PVR (which I believe is
h.264) at 720 with no problems.  However, when I pump the resolution on
the HD-PVR to 1080 the mac mini starts stuttering.  Even if I lower the
bitrate, the mac mini can't keep up.

Are there any options to help accelerate the video for the mac mini?
Specifically for h.264?  If not, is there anything emerging that I could
help out with development (I'm a programmer but I have little video
experience)? I saw a link to VAAPI
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi) but I'm not sure if my
chipset is supported or if it will help.

Thanks!
Doug