[mythtv-users] OT -- Raid Card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 13 00:03:57 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 12 August 2009 17:50:39 Doug Young wrote:
> Sorry for being off topic here, as this doesn't pertain to my myth
> box, but I know there's a lot of raid knowledge here, so I'm hoping
> someone has some experience...
>
> I have a friend who is experiencing data loss on his FreeBSD
> fileserver using an intel SRCU42X card.  It appears this is an LSI
> MegaRaid card rebranded Intel, as it uses the amr driver in FreeBSD,
> not the iir.  He's looking for a drop in replacement.  Other than
> buying that exact card again, does anyone have experience with what
> might be compatible?

The big question is, does he hope to keep the data stored on the array? My
experience has been that unless you replace the controller with the same one,
or one derived from it and known to be compatible, you will have to re-create
the array, losing the data it held.

This is the main reason I moved to Linux software RAID, the array will run on
any Linux system, no hardware incompatibilities.

The CPU overhead of even RAID is indignificant with today's CPUs, in fact it
was so even a decade ago.

Sorry I can't suggest a card, pretty much any card should work if you con't
care about the data, but if you do it will probably have to be a same or at
least similar replacement card.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org