[mythtv-users] Done with ATI

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 12 05:48:36 UTC 2009

On 08/12/2009 12:41 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 08/11/2009 11:20 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> I'll buy that playback sucks with the radeon driver on the hd3xxx and
>> hd4xxx series cards, since the driver support for even the hd2xxx series
>> is pretty immature, but support for the X1xxx series with the radeon
>> driver is actually pretty good these days. I can play HDTV material just
>> fine using the Radeon driver with both an X1300 and an X1900XT. The cpu
>> in the system with the X1300 is just a dual-core 1.8GHz proc, and its
>> not working *that* hard.
>
> I have a Mobility Radeon X1600 (w/256MB) in my Core2 T7200 @ 2GHz, and
> playback (over 802.11g wireless) is blotchy and pixelated, whether its
> HD or SD, live or recorded.  Nothing is smooth.  I'm not sure where the
> bottleneck actually is:  video?  cpu?   wireless?   server?

Not sure. I have my 512MB X1300 in a dual-core 1.8GHz Opteron box that
is currently serving as my backend. Just did some quick testing with a
few different video clips, though for quickness sake, used mplayer, not
mythtv... (I never actually use mythfrontend on my backend.)

- 1080i mpeg2 stuff plays reasonably smoothly, though it looks like it
could use a deint filter running, or perhaps needs to be synced properly
with the display refresh rate. Xorg using ~50% of one core, mplayer
using ~65% of the other core.

- 720p mpeg2 stuff plays just fine, Xorg at ~20% of one core, mplayer at
~55% of the other.

- 1080p h.264 Green Latern clip someone posted a little while back
absolutely hammers the cpu, one core is maxed out by mplayer, the other
is about 45% busy w/Xorg. Video is a bit choppy, but not horribly so.

- 720p h.264 clip from my HD PVR, mplayer pretty much pegs one core
(~97% busy), Xorg has the other about 33% busy. Video isn't perfectly
smooth, but at least watchable, would probably be fine with a bit more cpu.

This is all far better than the last time I tried seriously poking at a
Radeon card, which was a 9200 Pro nearly four years ago, iirc, when the
radeon driver, the fglrx driver and the 3rd option (gatos?) all failed
to be useful, each in a different way. Oh, wait, I tried using this same
X1300 in my old frontend box with the fglrx driver about three years
ago, when the radeon driver didn't yet support it, and using fglrx led
to an instant segfault and X crashing whenever you tried to use Xv for
anything. But yeah, better now...

> (My server
> is an AMD 2600+ which has a Geforce 6200 video, and playback directly
> there is even worse, even with XvMC supposedly enabled.  Maybe I'm doing
> to much on my home server?  [httpd, sendmail, bittorrent, nfs {when it
> works}, ntpd, cups, ....] ).
>
> My "next" home server will definitely be VDPAU capable!  B^)

I take it you regularly watch stuff on the backend then?

>> That said, I'll still take either an nVidia or Intel video chipset over
>> an ATI chipset for a MythTV system.
>
> The nVidia stuff is certainly easier to configure and get working....

Well, my Radeon X1300 was supported right out of the box, no binary blob
driver to install, and same when using Intel graphics. It all depends on
what "working" is defined as. nVidia is definitely the best overall
video playback quality though (when using their binary driver), even
without VDPAU in the equation. Intel graphics served me reasonably well
for quite some time though, and the Radeon situation has at least
improved on the X1000 series.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com