[mythtv-users] Done with ATI

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Aug 12 10:16:06 UTC 2009

Stephen Shelton wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:59:47 +0100
> Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Shelton wrote:
>>> I'm done with ATI. The open source drivers look promising, but I'm not going to sit around waiting
>>> for them.
>> Are you referring to the radeon driver? Why the need
>> to wait? Do you have a very new card not yet supported?
>
> I actually have 3 ati cards:
>
> x1650
> hd3200 (onboard)
> hd4350
>
> All three handle 1080i just fine with fglrx except for screen tearing. None can quite cut it with
> either radeon / radeonhd.

Presumably you mean playing back 1080i content with a 1080p screen mode.
Apparently if you wish to use a 1080i screen mode (so that the TV does
the deinterlacing) then there's no chance with nVidia, and ATI is
one of the few options you have.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. I was wishing to
generate a 576i screen mode to drive an old CRT TV, and was
pretty much forced to use ATI.

P.