[mythtv-users] Trouble playing OTA HD content on WDTV devices

Dennis Cartier dennis.cartier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 00:42:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 08/10/2009 09:28 AM, Dennis Cartier wrote:
> > I thought I would try using my WDTV device (with the WDLXTV firmware
> > for network operation) to be a temporary frontend. I found the
> > mythrename.pl script and set about getting the recorded content
> > exposed to the WDTV over NFS. The content was recorded from a HD
> > Homerun ATSC tunner.
> >
> > The first problem that I ran into was that the symbolic links the
> > script makes are not really suited for the way the WDTV mounts the NFS
> > shares. WDTV wants to always mount things under a common mount point
> > (/tmp/media/usb/[mount name]). I figured this would simply be  a minor
> > bit of work to modify the script to create relative links that take
> > into account the mount structure of the WDTV device.
>
> Assuming the WDTV device supports it, you can also use CIFS and have the
> server resolve symlinks for you.  Add the lines:
>
> unix extensions = No
> follow symlinks = Yes
> wide links = Yes
>
> to the "[global]" section of your smb.conf.
>
> Mike

The WDTV does support CIFS, but unfortunately NFS is the only available
protocol able to meet the bandwidth requirements of 1080 content. CIFS is
good up to 720p on the WDTV, but anything higher requires NFS.

I am not sure if this is a limitation of the WDTV only, or if Samba is just
not fast enough in general.

Dennis

--
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Hunter S. Thompson, US journalist (1939 – 2005)