[mythtv-users] Trouble playing OTA HD content on WDTV devices

Dennis Cartier dennis.cartier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:43:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Dennis Cartier <dennis.cartier at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/2009 09:28 AM, Dennis Cartier wrote:
>> > I thought I would try using my WDTV device (with the WDLXTV firmware
>> > for network operation) to be a temporary frontend. I found the
>> > mythrename.pl script and set about getting the recorded content
>> > exposed to the WDTV over NFS. The content was recorded from a HD
>> > Homerun ATSC tunner.
>> >
>> > The first problem that I ran into was that the symbolic links the
>> > script makes are not really suited for the way the WDTV mounts the NFS
>> > shares. WDTV wants to always mount things under a common mount point
>> > (/tmp/media/usb/[mount name]). I figured this would simply be  a minor
>> > bit of work to modify the script to create relative links that take
>> > into account the mount structure of the WDTV device.
>>
>> Assuming the WDTV device supports it, you can also use CIFS and have the
>> server resolve symlinks for you.  Add the lines:
>>
>> unix extensions = No
>> follow symlinks = Yes
>> wide links = Yes
>>
>> to the "[global]" section of your smb.conf.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> The WDTV does support CIFS, but unfortunately NFS is the only available
> protocol able to meet the bandwidth requirements of 1080 content. CIFS is
> good up to 720p on the WDTV, but anything higher requires NFS.
>
> I am not sure if this is a limitation of the WDTV only, or if Samba is just
> not fast enough in general.

Just to follow up on this for anyone with the same issue, it turned out to
be the packet size was too large. I added "rsize=8196" to the end of the
xmount line in the net.mounts file and all was good.

Now to hack the rename script for the WDTV directory structure.

Dennis

--
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Hunter S. Thompson, US journalist (1939 – 2005)