[mythtv-users] IVTV and DVB cards swapping /dev/ location

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 20:45:37 UTC 2009

> If you're running a recent udev, it's more likely:
>
> # udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/video0)
>
> instead.
>
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html is still one of the
> best tutorials out there, but still needs updating to reflect the
> recent changing of udevinfo to udevadm.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
>
> "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
> Franklin

Thank you.  I think i got it.

SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPG",
SYMLINK+="pvr-150"

creates a symlink that i addded to mythtv-setup.  seems to work.  assuming
if they swap again I will update to the new point.

mitchell at mythtv:~$ sudo udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n
/dev/video0)
[sudo] password for mitchell:

Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
and the attributes from one single parent device.

  looking at device
'/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/0000:02:08.0/video4linux/video0':
    KERNEL=="video0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux"
    DRIVER==""
    ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPG"