[mythtv-users] DCH3200 STB Install -- Request for help

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 21:44:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM, <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:

> ---- Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm hoping someone who has gone through the process of getting a firewire
> > connection working can help me to either get mine to work or convince me
> > send it back to the cable company (Mediacom).  I have followed the
> > instructions in the MythTV wiki with the following results:
> >
> > Running Ubuntu 9.04
> > Asus motherboard with Agere FW322 IEEE1394 chip
> >
> > installed libraw1394, libavc1394, libiec61883
> > ken at mythtv:~$ lsmod | grep 1394
> > dv1394                 25948  0
> > raw1394                32732  0
> > ohci1394               38576  1 dv1394
> > ieee1394               94660  3 dv1394,raw1394,ohci1394
> >
> > root at mythtv:/home/ken# plugreport
> > Host Adapter 0
> > ==============
> >
> > Node 0 GUID 0x0023a2fffe93b690
> > ------------------------------
> > oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
> > oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
> >         channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
> > iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
> >
> > Node 1 GUID 0x001e8c000137ea34
> > ------------------------------
> > libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> > libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
> >
> > If I reset the bus and then run the following while tuned to an analog
> > channel:
> >
> > root at mythtv:/home/ken# 6200ch -n 0 -v 5
> > starting with node: 0
> > node 0: vendor_id = 0x000023a2 model_id = 0x0000d330
> > AV/C Command: 005 = Op1=0x00487C20 Op2=0x00487C20 Op3=0x00487C25
> >
> > root at mythtv:/home/ken# firewire_tester -n0 -R
> > Action: Resetting the firewire bus
> > Bus reset succeeded
> > root at mythtv:/home/ken# plugctl -n 0 "oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1"
> > root at mythtv:/home/ken# firewire_tester -B -n 0 -r 2
> > Action: Attempt to fix broadcast connection 2 times, node 0
> > Broadcast: Testing...Failed
> > P2P: Testing...Success, 73 packets received
> > Broadcast: Testing...Failed
> > P2P: Testing...Failed
> > P2P: Testing...Success, 71 packets received
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 68 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 73 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 71 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 72 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 65 packets
> > Broadcast Fix: Success
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 71 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 68 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 69 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 72 packets
> > Broadcast: Testing...Success, 70 packets
> > Broadcast Fix: Success (already stable)
> >
> > I can then run test-mpeg2 and I will get a data stream.
> >
> > If I then run 6200ch and change the channel to a digital channel (703
> which
> > is a local NBC channel transmitted in HD), everything fails:
> >
> > root at mythtv:/home/ken# 6200ch -n 0 -v 703
> > starting with node: 0
> > node 0: vendor_id = 0x000023a2 model_id = 0x0000d330
> > AV/C Command: 703 = Op1=0x00487C27 Op2=0x00487C20 Op3=0x00487C23
> [...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am using the outer-most (closest to power plug) 1394 jack.

I do believe I have this working now; I just do not know how reliably.  I
got my first set of information from the mythTV wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire

This got me started, but I got the best information from the Ubuntu web
site:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Firewire

This got me the channel scanner and the mythprime programs.  I'm not sure I
either believe and/or understand what encrypted means from the channel
scanner since it showed one of my OTA broadcast stations as encrypted.  I'll
have to do more testing to find out if I need to delete this station from my
line-up (and complain to the cable company).

I have successfuly recorded several programs off of the STB.  I have not had
as good of luck watching live TV; although, that may be due to having these
"encrypted" stations in my lineup.  More testing needed, but I'm tested-out
for today.

I had to use the "broadcast" method.  As Brad Fuller mentioned, I could not
get point-to-point to work.  The 6200ch program seems to work fine.  I get
quite a few errors in the BE's log file when the BE is switching between
stations (back-to-back recordings on different channels) but they seem to
work themselves out after a couple of seconds.

I still need to deal with making the changes permanent (through a reboot),
but I'm very happy that I got working what I did.  To be on the safe side, I
have set up all the programs that are set to record on the STB to also
record on my analog tuner.  That way, if the STB messes up, the wife and I
will still have something to watch.

-- Ken