[mythtv-users] Looking for reliable, inexpensive HD front end only box?

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Fri Aug 7 15:59:14 UTC 2009

@Raymond, you said

"Then there is VDPAU for hardware decoding, and while this lets you get
by with a comparatively simple machine, there are caveats.  It can only
handle mpeg2, h264, and VC1.  XviD/DivX/mpeg4asp are not supported,
although those are usually only used for standard definition content,
and as such are fairly trivial to decode. "

I'm building my ION right now, had intended to use VDPAU on it as a
frontend machine.  I have content in lots of formats...  DVD and ripped
DVD, .AVI, various MPEGs.  Can you link to or elaborate more on your
point?  Am I about to be disappointed with VDPAU??  Maybe I
mis-interpreted your point?

Thx! D.