[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:59:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> I tried XBMC with a trial version of PlayON (which was running on XP
> in a Virtual Box VM on my Hardy server) to stream Hulu.  It worked
> tolerably well, except that fast foward and rewind did not work at
> all. This is apparently a well known bug with PlayOn and XBMC.

I have also done something similar.  I set up PlayOn in a VM running
with KVM on my backend.  If you are going to leave it running full
time, you'll have to dedicate 512 megabytes of memory to the VM, and
you will need a pretty hefty CPU to keep up with the transcoding
(probably at least 2.6-3Ghz Core2 or better for running on a single
core.  Running an SMP guest VM seems to have a higher performance
penalty and wasn't processing much faster than just running as a
single core).  I have recently run into some problems with the speed
of the transcoding in the VM after upgrading my kernel to 2.6.30 from
2.6.26 that I haven't fully tracked down yet.  This is a workable
option for anyone interested though.

I didn't have the same problems with FF/REW that were mentioned.
Seeking backward worked fine.  Seeking forward worked fine as well as
long as you don't try to seek beyond the point the transcoding has
reached.  I was using a PS3 as the client though instead of XBMC.

--Dave