[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 4 19:32:19 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 12:53:42 Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Alan Marchiori [alan at alanmarian.com] wrote:

> > > I've been looking for such a beast, and haven't found one yet.
> > >
> > > I'm certainly open to ideas, so far I've been using a PS3, an Xbox, a
> > > D-Link DSM-520 and a Myka. All work quite well, but having it
> > > integrated into a Myth frontend would be great.
> >
> > have you tried XBMC?  It seems to support both linux and is a UPnP
> > client.  I'm thinking of trying it at least... then just put a button
> > on the main myth menu to launch XBMC..?
>
> I tried XBMC with a trial version of PlayON (which was running on XP
> in a Virtual Box VM on my Hardy server) to stream Hulu.  It worked
> tolerably well, except that fast foward and rewind did not work at
> all. This is apparently a well known bug with PlayOn and XBMC.

FF/REWing with any UPnP device can be problematical, and varies a lot with the
implementation of the UPnP control point/renderer.

For example, my PS3 does a fair job of shuttling Hulu via PlayON, while my
DSM-520 is much worse.

Part of the problem is that users reporting problems often do not understand
the inherent limitations of the system (like you can't shuttle into material
you have not received yet), so they have problems determining what is an
actual problem and what is just the nature of the beast.

So the PlayON developers have to first figure out what are legitimate
complaints and what are not.

I have actually seen complaints from users who can't understand why they can't
immediately shuttle at 32X to the end of a 2-hour movie that started
streaming 3 seconds ago. One complaint actually said "My $20 VCR can do this,
why can't something I paid more for do it?"

My house can't take me to LA, even though I paid more for the house than my
car. Perhaps I should complain.

Non-technical users expect a VCR or DVR experience, possibly from ambiguous
promotion of the devices and systems. A good case for better expectation
management.

> I finally just decided to use Boxee for Hulu, until Hulu shuts them
> out again.

Who knows when that might be, all I can get is FUD as to what actually
happened, whose fault it was and whether it might happen again.

PlayON handles not only Hulu but Netflix and many others as well, making it
the most useful such solution I'm aware of. With the addition of local file
serving it is much more useful than TVersity or Media Tomb, for example (just
a personal opinion, of course).

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org