[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Mac's as frontend on Linux?

Brad DerManouelian bderman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:29:49 UTC 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 8:15 PM, Bill Williamson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Ken Mandelberg<km at mathcs.emory.edu>
> wrote:
>> I'm used to running a Mac Mini with an intel graphics chip as a
>> frontend
>> (and backend) on Ubuntu. It works well enough.
>>
>> I'm now looking at one of the Mac laptops with NVIDA 9400M
>> graphics. Will
>> this work better or worse than intel graphics under Linux?
>>
>> Are their issues?
>

> It SHOULD work much better, and should even work with VDPAU.  There
> may be gotchas for the other hardware though (or there may not be).

SHOULD = DOES. My frontend is a mac mini with the nvidia graphics
card. I also have a MacBook Pro with the same card and under linux,
VDPAU and the nvidia drivers in general work just like they do on
other machines. That is to say - excellent for the most part but with
issues related to the nvidia drivers, not the hardware. Under OS X,
the hardware acceleration works pretty much the same as the Intel
video chips did. Ok for most things, but still hiccups on high bitrate
h264 content (on my 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo mini).

-Brad