[mythtv-users] looking for cheapest fanless VDPAU card for Australian use

Glenn Sommer glemsom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 07:46:15 UTC 2009

2009/8/3 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/3 Glenn Sommer <glemsom at gmail.com>:
>> Personally I've just got a 8500GT card (fanless).
>> I used to use VDPAU in the beginning - but I found interlaced (2x)
>> combined with the right screenresolution. being way better then any
>> other VDPAU deinterlacer. (including advanced 2x)
>
> would have been hard to compare provided the 8500 isn't fast enough
> for Advanced 2X for HD

I only have two HD channels - else it's SD channels, where this card
easily can do advanced 2x.
For HD channels I used temporal 2x.

>> (Though, I'm still using the vdpau patches - since they contain the
>> support for interlaced 2x... iirc)
>>
>> (note: interlaced 2x does NOT support zooming! So, if you need to zoom
>> - use any other deinterlacer)
>
> interlaced 2X is only useful to let your TV/monitor do the deinterlacing.
> And for it to work properly, the resolution of your screen must match
> exactly the resolution of the video being played.. Which makes it
> impossible to achieve in many cases ...

My provider only uses 4 different formats (including the two HD
channels). So it's quite easy to setup in MythTV.
(Though, MythTV will only let you configure 3 different resolutions -
using phpMyAdmin I could modify the database to give me the 4th)

In my case, using the same resolution as the videosource - and using
interlaced 2x, gives me better motion scenes compared to any other
deinterlacer I've tried.

Though, you'll have to live with a quick flicker when changing
channels sometimes - since MythTV needs to adjust the
screen-resolution... But I can live with that! :)