[mythtv-users] EPG Data and DVB-S "EPG" channel

Dave dave at 0bits.com
Wed Apr 22 15:48:13 UTC 2009

Rico wrote:

 > Hello all,
 >
 > Setting up MythTV 0.21 from MythDora 10.21.
 >
 > Setting up a DVB-S2 Card with CI+CAM.
 >
 > I had to manually scan the channels using scan as MythTV was never
able to
 > find any channel by himself. I have imported the channels.conf and MythTV
 > found all the channels except one. I guess this is because of the
rate value
 > for this channel that is too low (6450) for MythTV...
 >
 > At this time no EPG data could be grab from the satellite by MythTV.
 >
 > As I saw in a mailing list, this is due to the fact that I used a
 > channels.conf file.
 >
 > So, I have deleted all the channels and perform a new time the MythTV
 > scanning process, using the transport definitions that were set with
 > channels.conf.
 >
 > MythTV has well found all the channels (still except one).
 >
 > But I still no get any EPG data for any channel.
 >
 > Here in French Polynesia, it looks like the only available "satellite
bouquet"
 > (TNS) does not fill EIT now/next data on program channels (section
18)... I
 > guess this is why MythTV does not fill any EPG data...
 >
 > But while scanning channels, MythTV finds and ignores a channel named and
 > marked as "EPG"...
 >
 > I know that EPG Data (for 7 days) are well transmitted as I can see
them using
 > my old Nokia DVB-S decoder... I guess it uses the "EPG" channel for
that...

 > Is it possible to get MythTV to do the same? If yes how?

Google for epgsnoop. It's an external program which uses dvbsnoop to
snoop on the transponder EPG hannel and extract the EPG (if it is in
standard format) to produce an xml file which you can feed into
mythfilldatabase.

Unfortunately Showtime Arabia (where i am) has such a channel on channel
1, but transmits the 7day guide in a non-standard format. You may be
luckier.