[mythtv-users] Problem importing dvb-s2 channels.conf into mythtv

Brian linuxtv at leafcom.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 11:36:55 UTC 2009

Firstly, apologies to the moderator if you have received this before. It
was sent using a non-registered email address.
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.2"
GNU/Linux 2.6.24-23-generic (headers and generic headers installed)
Location: UK
Satellite: Astra 28.2 degrees East
Card: Hauppauge DVB S/S2 (see it here: tinyurl.com/cw3upv ) - Adapter 2
Adapter 0 is a Freeview T tuner card and Adapter 1 is a Freeview T USB
tuner. (already working)

I have successfully produced a channels.conf file
I can get the card working if, I place the channels.conf file in the
/home/brian/.szap directory then:-
In one terminal I set szap working:-
szap -a2 -r "Five"
and get mplayer working in another terminal:-
mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter2/dvr0
This results in launching mplayer and video and sound work OK on the TV
channel 'Five'.

However, if I try to import channels.conf, into MythTV backend set up,
all I get is a screen with 'Scanning' at the top of it, and nothing
else. Very strangely, if I enter a path but no file name a 'dialogue'
box appears in the centre of the scan window with all values shown as
0%. I don't understand, for certain, just what the MythTV set up program
is looking for in respect of the 'ATSC Channel Separator'. I assume that
this refers to what separates each channel and its data from others in
the channels.conf file. In the case of my file it is a carriage return,
so I assume the separator is 'nothing'. However, I tried all settings to
no avail. The character separating station name and data items is a colon.

So, in summary, I can get the card working in mplayer but I can't get
the channels.conf file to import into MythTV.
Any ideas where I go on this one?
Additionally, BBC HD only works, in mplayer, with audio, there is no
video. I presume that this is down to the driver not being capable of
HD. Correct?