[mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

William william_munson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 12:55:28 UTC 2009

Steve V wrote:

> [...]
>   Flags        "-HSync"    "-VSync"    "Interlace"
>   EndMode
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "Screen"
>   Identifier    "Screen0"
>   Device        "Card0"
>   Monitor        "Monitor0"
>   Defaultcolordepth    24
>   DefaultDepth    24
>   SubSection "Display"
>       Depth    24
>       Modes        "my1080i"    "my540p"
>   EndSubSection
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "Module"
>   Load          "dbe"
>   Load          "extmod"
>   Load          "freetype"
>   Load    "glx"
>   Disable    "dri2"
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier    "Mouse0"
>   Driver        "mouse"
>   Option        "Protocol" "auto"
>   Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>   Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>   Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier    "Keyboard0"
>   Driver        "kbd"
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "ServerLayout"
>   Identifier    "Layout0"
>   Screen      0  "Screen0"
>   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "Device"
>   Identifier    "Card0"
>   Option        "UseEvents"    "true"
>   Option        "DPI"    "100x100"
>   Option        "AddARGBVisuals"    "1"
>   Option        "NoLogo"    "1"
>   Option        "ConnectedMonitor"    "CRT"
>   Option        "UseEDID"    "FALSE"
>   Option        "XvmcUsesTextures"    "TRUE"
>   Option        "ExactModeTimingsDVI"    "TRUE"
>   Option        "ConnectToAcpid"    "FALSE"
>   Vendorname    "All"
>   Boardname    "All"
>   Option      "NvAGP" "0"
>   Driver    "nvidia"
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "ServerFlags"
>   Option "blank time" "0"
>   Option "standby time" "0"
>   Option "suspend time" "0"
>   Option "off time" "0"
> >EndSection
>
> >Section "Extensions"
>       Option  "Composite"    "Disable"
> >EndSection
>
> ------------------------
>
> Thanks William, looks like I need to study up on Xorg.conf settings,
> my settings are currently as below.
>

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>         Device          "Configured Video Device"
That is pretty much a generic config which tells xorg to figure it all
out by itself. This is why its not happy when no edid info is returned
by the monitor.The section below tells xorg to ignore the lack of edid
data and instead use the video modes you have defined in xorg.conf.

Section "Device"
  Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
       Option        "UseEvents"    "true"
       Option        "DPI"    "100x100"
       Option        "AddARGBVisuals"    "1"
       Option        "NoLogo"    "1"
       Option        "ConnectedMonitor"    "CRT"
       Option        "UseEDID"    "FALSE"
       Option        "XvmcUsesTextures"    "TRUE"
      Option        "ExactModeTimingsDVI"    "TRUE"
      Option        "ConnectToAcpid"    "FALSE"
      Vendorname    "All"
      Boardname    "All"
      Driver    "nv"
 >EndSection

The  section below should replace your "Screen" section and controls the
video mode. I have included a couple standard modes but you will need to
find what modes your monitor likes and change this section.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        Defaultcolordepth    24
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
              Depth    24