[mythtv-users] Kill-a-Watt Deal @ NewEgg

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Apr 15 13:23:47 UTC 2009

> Just what are you running??? My file server, backend, and all the networking
> equipment in the basement consumes about $25/mo.  Four desktops around the
> house, plus a couple of laptops, some printers and other accessories add on
> another $30-$35/mo.

Wow. Either you have some insanely power consuming computers, or some
insanely high energy prices. When I built my backend server (Core 2
Duo), at idle it consumed about 40 watts. Adding in the PVR-350 &
PVR-500, it was about 55 at idle and maybe 90 under load. Even with my
cable modem, router, 2 switches, VOIP adapter, HDHomerun, a backup
server (which is mostly off but wakes up for about an hour a week to
do backups), and the slight inefficiency of a UPS, my idle load was
easily under 100 watts. When you add in the peak loads, I think my
average ended up being around 100 watts (I'll have to throw my
killawatt on for a week and double check the average). At an average
cost of 10 cents/KWh, that comes to $7 a month.

I've also got 2 frontends. They are also Core 2 Duos, thus also about
35 watts idle, and I think under 70 at full load (but I'm not sure
what a typical average draw is while watching TV). One is on about 2-3
hours/day, the other gets maybe 8 hours max on weekdays, and maybe 14
max on weekends (both of those are probably overestimates). Even if I
figure they are at full load all the time (which they aren't...they
don't even reach full load when watching HD programs...probably only
reach full load when occasionally ripping/transcoding a DVD). That's
still less than $3/month for those.

So, my backend server + 2 frontends + the entire supporting network
infrastructure for my entire house is under $10/month.

--
Ron