[mythtv-users] First ION desktop officially announced - Acer AspireRevo

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed Apr 8 20:00:27 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 April 2009 13:41:11 Glen Sagers wrote:
>
>> Bill Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk
>>> <mailto:linux at thehobsons.co.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Travis Tabbal wrote:
>>>
>>>         Good specs. For $300, it's certainly a contender. Even better
>>>         would be to sell it as bare hardware without the OS and
>>>         perhaps the HDD
>>>

>>>     You can always take the OS back, tell them you don't accept the
>>>     EULA, and demand your money back for the OS. The vendor is
>>>     required to reimburse you for the price of the OS - that is the
>>>     only way various legal systems have allowed the EULA to stand, by
>>>     allowing the purchaser to reject it AFTER purchase when they are
>>>     able to read the terms.
>>>
>>>     Expect "resistance" to the refund though.
>>>
>>>     I have to admit, I'm sort of itching to have a go at it !
>>>

>>> How much do you bet they pay for it, though?  I'd guess under $15.
>>>
>> I got $14 and some change from Dell for Vista home premium with very
>> little resistance.  They asked if I'd used it, and when I said I hadn't,
>> and wouldn't, they took about 5 minutes to process the refund, and it
>> was back on the card within a couple of days.  Was it worth it?  Only as
>> a moral victory!
>>

> I wonder how much you might get (or have to pay them) to leave off the
> crapware. Of course you owyuld have to "use" Windows to even see that I
> guess.

If you want a Dell without all the crap look at their Small/Medium
Business website. I just checked and the option is there. Go to
Dell.com->For Office->Workstation->Small & Medium Business. From there
you can choose what OS. FreeDOS and Linux are both options as is Windows
XP. The systems may cost more, but I think the components that go into
the OptiPlex and Precision lines are better than those used in the
Dimension and whatever else they sell to home users.

Cheers,
James