[mythtv-users] libXvMCNVIDIA for HD Playback

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:27:50 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/4/5 Scooty <scott at web-ster.com>:

> in one. If it is the card then why can I play h264 stuff in other players?
> It is because they don't use ffmpeg for the decoding then? I also play h265
> stuff through mythvideo which of course actually hands the playback off to
> Xine. I'm just curious on that one, if there's any more insight there :-) I
> will start looking for another card. Are there any recommendations for an
> Nvidia card with HDMI out that does vdpau?

As mentioned earlier, the ffmpeg used by mythtv 0.21 is rather old ;
and h264 support isn't that great.
xine (which isn't entirely based on ffmpeg) and mplayer uses a more
updated version.

Now mind you, ffmpeg currently used in trunk isn't that much better. I
found that none of the h264 video that didn't play in 0.21 played
properly with mythtv 0.22/trunk.
The result is different ; while in 0.21 I would either get an error or
a blank screen ; with mythtv trunk I would get a stuttering video and
often the sound was bad too.
For those videos I use mplayer.