[mythtv-users] Much improved 1080i display

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Apr 3 09:05:33 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/4/3 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
>> Interesting. I wonder why it's less sharp. I guess you can't use VDPAU
>> for decoding with the fieldorder deinterlacer, so presumably you use
>
> my impression about sharpness may be flawed as the colour rendering by
> VDPAU is different ; much more colourful.
> I had to tune the TV so it wouldn't look too much out of the Mars
> planet... (like green were very green)
>
>> XVMC? Perhaps you are running into the XV/interlace incompatibility
>> problem with the nVidia driver. When I tried 576i from an FX5200, I
>
> You can't use XvMC on GPU supporting XvMC ; nvidia removed XvMC
> support on all GPU 8xxx and above.
>
>> ran into that problem: it looked like only one interlace was
>> displaying. On the other hand, Tom doesn't seem to be seeing a lack
>> of sharpness, and he's using an nVidia card, I think. I guess the
>> other possibility is that the TV's deinterlacing is losing sharpness.
>
> But did he compare with VDPAU ?

No he didn't, but apparently results were as sharp as with his
HD receiver.

>> Shame. It wasn't supposed to be a play off between different aspects
>> of quality. It was supposed to be an overall win in cases where it
>> works.
>
> Actually those tests let me decide to use VDPAU Temporal 2X for the
> deinterlacer on 1080i content. My nvidia 9400 isn't fast enough to do
> Advanced 2X unfortunately.
> At first I liked Advanced 1X over Temporal 2X because it looks
> sharper. But the motion in Advanced 1X isn't as good as Temporal 2X.
> In Oz, we just have a new FTA channel: OneHD which is 24/7 sport. On
> the other channel, I can say that I prefer Advanced 1X ; but on the HD
> sport channel where motion is more important : I think Temporal 2X is
> the way to go.
>
> Motion with Interlaced 2X was great ; just like if I was watching TV
> using the Sony's build-in tuner...
> It's a pity that one has to spend so much time and effort just to
> achieve what the TV does already :(

Was the sharpness also about the same as with the Sony's built in tuner?
If so then that's as good as the technique can achieve, just a
little surprising that VDPAU can improve on the Sony's built in
deinterlacing. On the other hand if use of Interlace x2 is less sharp
than from the TV's tuner then there is still something wrong in the
set up somewhere.

Overall, it's sounding like VDPAU is so good, there is no real
advantage in matching display mode to source. That's good though,
if VDPAU is a single solution to all our problems: when I go HD,
I'm not going to want to do software decoding just so that I can
use Interlace x2.

P.