[mythtv-users] Two OTA antennas that pickup different channels

Chris Harland charland at uoregon.edu
Tue Sep 30 15:31:09 UTC 2008

Hello all,

Here's my setup: Latest Myth 0.21 (Mythbuntu flavor) and HDHomerun (love
it) with two indoor, directional antennas.  I have five local stations,
antenna/tuner 1 can pickup four of them (ABC, CBS, PBS, and FOX) and
antenna/tuner 2 is pointed at three of them (CBS, NBC, PBS).  The setup
works well if I manually tell recorded programs on ABC and FOX to use
tuner 1 and NBC to use tuner 2.

My issue is with livetv, I'd like to be able to surf channels and have
mythtv automatically change tuners (antennas) based on the channel.  For
example, when I'm watching ABC on tuner 1, I want to select NBC from the
program guide and have myth swap tuners and tune the channels.  I used
to be able to do this (pre 0.21) in mythtv-setup by associating certain
channels with certain inputs and removing channel from tuners that don't
pick them up.

Now I use Schedules Direct (also love it) but since I have a single line
up both tuners want to try to pull in all the channels.  So if I try to
surf on tuner 1 and change from ABC to NBC the mythbox tries its hardest
to tune NBC but it just can't.  I can't for the life of me figure out
how to deny tuner 1 access to NBC and deny tuner 2 access to ABC and
FOX.  Is my only solution to make two separate schedules direct line
ups, one for antenna/tuner 1 and one for antenna/tuner 2 or am I missing
something simple here?

As a follow up question, say I make two lineups and both include CBS and
PBS, will myth know it can use either tuner for those two channels or is
it best to just set CBS to one antenna and PBS to the other?

Thanks in advance,
Chris