[mythtv-users] Two OTA antennas that pickup different channels

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Sep 30 15:54:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Chris Harland <charland at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Here's my setup: Latest Myth 0.21 (Mythbuntu flavor) and HDHomerun (love
> it) with two indoor, directional antennas.  I have five local stations,
> antenna/tuner 1 can pickup four of them (ABC, CBS, PBS, and FOX) and
> antenna/tuner 2 is pointed at three of them (CBS, NBC, PBS).  The setup
> works well if I manually tell recorded programs on ABC and FOX to use
> tuner 1 and NBC to use tuner 2.

Wouldn't it be easier to use a filter and combiner to get all signals on
both inputs? OTA guys have been doing this stuff for decades, the tools are
there, and aren't too expensive. Use a notch filter for NBC on antenna 2 and
combine the signal from there with antenna 1's signal. Add a splitter next
to the HDHR and you're good to go. Now both tuners can see all channels you
receive without weird software tricks.

If you go this route, make sure NBC isn't going to switch frequencies after
the 2009 digital switch. Some stations plan to switch back to their analog
frequencies with the digital transmission after the cutoff, so that will
change things for you if any of your stations plan to do this.