[mythtv-users] Frontend and backend confusion

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 28 06:16:29 UTC 2008

On 09/28/2008 01:59 AM, daryl helwig wrote:
> In trying to learn about Mythtv, in preperation for attempting to
> install it, I notice that it is stated over and over that the frontend
> and backend can be on multiple computers or combined onto a single PC.
>
> If I understand correctly, the backend is like  data storage software
> and the frontend is the software that actually interacts with the user,
> such as controling remote, changing channels and sending tyhe signal to
> the tv. Please verify this or correct it.

Backend records.  Frontend plays.

> Why would people choose to have the front and back on seperate computers?

So you can have more capture cards than you have PCI slots, or so you
can have more disks than you have IDE/SATA connections (i.e. you run
multiple backends, but don't need that many frontends).  So you can have
a frontend for playback in the living room and each of the bedrooms.  So
you can install some broken OS--I mean Windows--on the machine connected
to the TV and reboot into it at any time without worrying about missing
a recording.  So you can use an Athlon XP 2000+ that's always running
for recording HDTV (even though it couldn't even come close to playing
it back in real time) and have a powerful frontend that can be shut down
when you're not watching TV.  So you can have an extremely big/ugly/loud
case (with tons of drive bays and fans) hidden in the closet out of
reach of the TV/speakers and have a pretty case next to the TV. ...

Basically, because the frontend and backend are independent, you can run
either or both on any machine(s) that works for you.

IMHO, the /only/ reason to have a frontend and backend on the same
machine is because you want to use fewer computers for MythTV.

Mike