[mythtv-users] Frontend and backend confusion

daryl helwig sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Sun Sep 28 05:59:30 UTC 2008

In trying to learn about Mythtv, in preperation for attempting to
install it, I notice that it is stated over and over that the frontend
and backend can be on multiple computers or combined onto a single PC.

If I understand correctly, the backend is like  data storage software
and the frontend is the software that actually interacts with the user,
such as controling remote, changing channels and sending tyhe signal to
the tv. Please verify this or correct it.

Why would people choose to have the front and back on seperate computers?

Thanks.