[mythtv-users] question about hr-21 and hd-pvr/mythtv

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:20:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Arthur Rosene <deer777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello
>
> I am curious about a superior DVR solution to the HR-21.  I am wondering how
> MythTV might go about changing channels on the HR-21 box in order to record
> different shows.

The Directv STBs have a usb port, which can be used to control the
box.  The Directv STB acts like a "host" device, just like your
computer, so a null-modem is necessary between the computer and the
STB.

> i am also wondering if it can possibly record two shows at
> once.  it is appealing to me because i have a large esata hard drive using
> the HR-21 esata port, and using their method, stinks for hard drive space.
> i am almost hear max capacity and its only been 3 months.  i'd be interested
> in maybe using myth tv, i'm hoping it might be able to record two shows at
> once though, and be able to change the channel through the HR-21 device.
> any information you can rely to me regarding this would be appreciated.  i'm
> a "average" ubuntu user right now with pretty much moderate skills.

The HR-2x series displays the *same* "show" on all of it's outputs at
the same time.  So, there is no way to output two different shows at
the same time.  If you wish to record two shows at once, you are
better off getting two H2x (non-dvr) STBs from Directv.  This is
exactly what I have done.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.