[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV HVR-3000 DVB-S ? Help ?

Declan Grady declan at declangrady.com
Fri Sep 26 10:22:21 UTC 2008

Hi folks,
I'm in Ireland, and am a bit lost with my HVR-3000 for DVB-S

A quick history of what I've tried so far :

1. Mythbuntu 8.04 :
Got the v4l-dvb cloned & patched with the Steve Toth mfe diff, seemed to
work, and got channel lists for Astra 28.2E, but could not watch live TV.
Constant pixellation and signal breakup, from a known good source (works
perfectly in my sky+ box).
I did install Kaffeine, and it also scanned for channels successfully, but
again picture was broken and frozen, so that would suggest card or driver(s)
problem.

2. Debian Etch : No joy at all. Could not get the mercurial hg to clone a
specific revision, so just cloned without the -r. Could not compile the
v4l-dvb, tried the etchnhalf kernel, but still could not compile. Tried the
Stev Toth S2 version, but again would not compile.

3. MythDora 5.0 : Could not compile the v4l-dvb, but it seemed to recognise
the card, but only gave option of DVB-T, no DVB-S.

So, where do I go now ?

My preference would be to get it working with Debian (etch ?), if at all
possible, as I'm familiar with debian command line stuff, and the longer
term plans for this backend/frontend includes moving misterhouse from
another debian box, & adding zoneminder.

Is this possible?

I've been googling & googling, and find mixed reports of HVR-3000 working
well, and not working at all. The mercurial Steve Toth stuff seems to have
changed in the last few days, so I'm a bit lost there.

If DVB-S is problematic, can I simply use the HVR-3000 as a uhf tuner card,
and buy a new *supported* DVB-S card ?

Any and all input is appreciated, before I pull out what little hair I have
left !

Thanks
Declan.