[mythtv-users] HR21 DirecTV receiver as HD input to MythTV box through HDMI?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 26 12:25:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:42:16PM -0700, Steve Heistand wrote:
> Peter Pavlovich <pavlovich at gmail.com>, said on Thu Sep 25, 2008 [11:25:35 PM]:
> } >
> } >
> } > You'd rather spend $285 plus whatever DVI capture device that might exist
> } > with linux support (no idea if that does exist - if so, it's going to be
> } > expensive and if so will almost definitely not have mythtv support for it)
> } > instead of $220 for a device with good enough linux/mythtv support that
> } > everything is working quite well right now just to use HDMI instead of
> } > component? Why?
> } >
> } >
> }
> } Nope. I'm not saying that at all. I just want the best quality video
> } possible ... true HD ... recorded on my MythTV box. If I read the specs
> } correctly, the $220 device only accepts component input. I am still a
> } relative newbie to all of this so I am not sure if component-based quality
> } is the same (or could it possibly even be better?) than HDMI quality. If so,
> } then I'd be quite happy going with the device mentioned earlier and save
> } myself all the problems :)
> }
> } Anyone able to chime in on the relative quality of the various output
> } configurations? I'd love to hear from the experts!!!
> }
> } Thanks again for the advice and insight!
> }
>
> Im by no means an expert but they will have pry my HDPVR out of my cold dead hands.
> and it doesnt even support 5.1 sound yet. (unrelated to the topic at hand I know

    What's going into your cableprovided STB is FAR more important than
whether or not you are capturing off of HDMI or component. Infact, I will
go as far as to say that this applies equally well to SD content. Even with
my old setup I can see CLEAR differences between channels and all of the
digital cable channels are clearly inferior to all of the SD OTA digital
recordings.

> but I like to plug the thing whenever I can)
>
> but for HD quality I was under the impression that component video
> was at the same level as hdmi.
>
> though I will note that the HD signal I got from comcast even out the hdmi port
> was terrible compared to the component Im using from my directv unit.
> so ultimately "quality" is up to the service provider.

    Yes, quite so.