[mythtv-users] HR21 DirecTV receiver as HD input to MythTV box through HDMI?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Sep 26 04:18:50 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 8:25 PM, Peter Pavlovich wrote:

> You'd rather spend $285 plus whatever DVI capture device that might
> exist with linux support (no idea if that does exist - if so, it's
> going to be expensive and if so will almost definitely not have
> mythtv support for it) instead of $220 for a device with good enough
> linux/mythtv support that everything is working quite well right now
> just to use HDMI instead of component? Why?
>

> Nope. I'm not saying that at all. I just want the best quality video
> possible ... true HD ... recorded on my MythTV box. If I read the
> specs correctly, the $220 device only accepts component input. I am
> still a relative newbie to all of this so I am not sure if component-
> based quality is the same (or could it possibly even be better?)
> than HDMI quality. If so, then I'd be quite happy going with the
> device mentioned earlier and save myself all the problems :)
>
> Anyone able to chime in on the relative quality of the various
> output configurations? I'd love to hear from the experts!!!
>
> Thanks again for the advice and insight!

If you want "true HD" then you need about 600-800GB/hour. That's
uncompressed high def video. So basically, all HD you get will be
compressed so it is realistically useful as part of a PVR. The beauty
with the HD-PVR is that you can choose your bitrate from 1Mbs to
13.5Mbs. I record at 6.5Mbs and can't tell the difference between
these recordings and OTA HD on my 42" display.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html