[mythtv-users] No reception or EIT for Channel 5 in Essex

peter nikolic p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 16 17:57:43 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 16 September 2008, Paul Clark wrote:
> Just to finish this dicussion for anyone who was interested - or might
> stumble across this in the future.
>
> When I plugged the aerial directly into the TV it all worked fine,
> likewise when I plugged the aerial straight into one of the tuner
> cards and not through the splitter.  So I guessed that the splitter
> combined with my poor reception was the most likely problem.
>
> After googling around I found a lot of people recommending the Philex
> SLx2 2 way TV Aerial Signal Booster.  I bought one of these from eBay
> and replaced the cheap Y splitter with it.  My problem is fixed and
> generally the reception on all channels has been improved.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions along the way.
>
> Cheers, Paul
>
> 2008/8/31 Mark Fraser <mythtv at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk>:

Hi .
Having read  this sort of thing so many times i think a little short sharp
education is called for re joing coax cables together .

Coax Cables as used for TV's have an Impeadance of 75 Ohms  this is the
impeadance of the Aerial (or roughly so)  Now if you have a downlead from
your chosen Antenna this is 75 Ohms if you now put one of these cheap and
disgustingly NASTY splitters in and feed 2 TV's from this you have just
doubled the load on the very small signal that is available to start with
for the simple reason 75 ohms in parralle with 75 Ohms = 37.5 Ohms a big no
no this is like trying to power one of the headlamp bulbs from your car of a
PP3 9 volt battery it dont work .

This is why you must always use and ACTIVE splitter ie one that has a
distribution amp and im peadance matching for each output.

Also  this applies to the UK as far as i know the connectors used on TV coax
are CRAP the method of just strip and push them together is no good  the
center pins need soldering and the braid needs a good connection ,   COax
also does not like water at all full stop . if you are serious about your
recieved signals then the moment any part of the braid or center conductor
looses it's sheen it's scarp time so pay a lot of attention to the connection
and seal topside .

Hope this helps a few avoid one of the common problems that arise from poorly
installed coax ect ..

Cheers   Pete .
G6NJR

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)