[mythtv-users] OT: mencoder recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 16 02:41:05 UTC 2008

On 09/15/2008 10:07 PM, Bob wrote:
> My neighborhood has "on demand" now.  I can tune to 1 of about 5
> channels and sometimes get lucky and find a show playing.  I have a
> spare DVB tuner (as you noticed) and would like to create a cron job to
> detect when content is available.  Once I determine that content is
> available, I can use mythweb to schedule the recording.

Perhaps you can find another location to discuss how to
steal^H^H^H^H^Hrecord shows that you didn't pay to see.

I know, "But the cable co isn't encrypting it."  Well, the books in my
local library aren't encrypted, but copying them is still a violation of
copyright law (and, no, fair use doesn't apply to either the VOD or book
argument, as we're not talking about a brief passage).  And, even if you
can find a way to make it not a copyright violation, I'm sure there are
plenty of service agreement violations as you're not the one who's
paying your cable company to watch the show.

Mike