[mythtv-users] OT: mencoder recording

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Sep 16 02:38:06 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Bob <mythtv at cox.net> wrote:

[snip]

>> My neighborhood has "on demand" now.  I can tune to 1 of about 5
>> channels and sometimes get lucky and find a show playing.  I have a
>> spare DVB tuner (as you noticed) and would like to create a cron job to
>> detect when content is available.  Once I determine that content is
>> available, I can use mythweb to schedule the recording.
>>
>> However, sounds like this idea will not work.
>
> I don't quite know what you mean by "on demand". Can you explain what
> it is and how it differs from other TV channels, as well as the
> delivery mechanism?

"on demand" is a cable company content delivery service where the
customer essentially gets to select content to watch from a list of
available shows.  After the customer makes the selection, the cable
company determines on which "channel" that content will be delivered to
the customer's cable box, which will then "find it" and display it for
the "paying" customer.  (I quote paying, because sometimes "on demand"
content is actually "free" to the customer.  Other times, the customer
pays to see it.  Depends on the content.)  Some cable companies have
been known to broadcast this "content" in the clear on "channels" that
their cable boxes can only access through the "on demand" feature.  This
is so that your neighbours cannot view the program that you are paying
for "by accident".  If it is being broadcast "in the clear" on a hidden
channel, it might be possible for someone with a QAM tuner (in the USA,
probably DVB "across the pond" or elsewhere) to "sniff" what's being
broadcast and "watch" it.  I've read some stories in some of the
discussion boards about MythTV users sniffing their neighbour's late
night porn (and other) movies.  Usually, MythTV users who do channel
scans late during the evening and early morning hours have a greater
chance of finding some on demand content channels.  Of course, there is
no way for you to know what's actually playing on those channels without
looking at them.  Some cable companies have resorted to encrypting all
of the on-demand content.  Others still send it in the clear.  And of
course cable companies may switch which frequencies they use for this at
their whim, so if you create a cron job to scan certain channels, you
might miss some things.

YMMV, and I'm promising you nothing about your particular content provider.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net