[mythtv-users] how "should" the scheduler work..

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Sep 5 20:55:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 08:37:29PM -0700, Steve Heistand wrote:
> so today I doing my weekly scan of the movie channels picking things I want mythtv to record for me.
> I normally select the "record at anytime on channel..." option and let it figure things out for itself.

For movies, the "Record one showing of this title" is usuall the
better choice since Myth automatically remove the recording rule after
the program is recorded.

> However today it wanted to record a movie at the same time as some other regularly schedule programs.
> The movie however was being shown many times and even in one case it was shown just earlier that same
> day with no other conflicts but yet the scheduler didnt see that option.

The output will be a little cryptic since it's intended for but
running mythbackend with the " -v schedule" might shed some light on
why the scheduler is doing what it's doing.  If you don't want to
restart your backend, you can usually get comparable results by
running it separately with the "--testsched" option.

> so I guess how hard does it really try to shuffle recordings around to avoid conflicts is my question?

As you noted elsewhere, the scheduler doesn't try very hard to move
things around.  One thing to double check is the "Reschedule Higher
Priorities" setting.  If it's not enabled, the scheduler won't hardly
try to move things around at all.

David
--
David Engel