[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome always starts mythfrontend on boot.

James Skimming James.Skimming at portraitsoftware.com
Fri Sep 5 09:49:32 UTC 2008

> Startup command: echo $status > /home/myth/restartStatus gave "auto"
(correct)

> mythshutdown -p -v all says "looks like we were started manually1"
(wrong!)

> Oh dear...  Sounds like this is a bug to me, there's clearly two
> independent and different ways of determining if it was an auto start
> and mythshutdown gets it wrong unless you use it for everything, which

> is just extra hassle if you use RTC as then you have to do date
> munging.  Mythwelcome should be using the same logic as the backend is

> when invoking the Startup command.

I don't know what the "$status" represents, so I can't say whether your
conclusion is correct, though there are messages in the backend logs
along the lines of "Looks like I was started manually" (I'm at work now
so can't give you the exact wording).

As far as the "two independent and different ways of determining if it
was an auto start", well, having worked on software for years, it just a
fact of life. Different people work on different areas of a system,
unless they both all have a complete holistic view of all the code, that
sort of thing is almost unavoidable. It doesn't necessarily mean there's
a bug, as each bit may be working as intended. As I don't know the
software internals, I can't say for certain whether it is a bug.

As for your date munging, are you not already doing what's necessary in
your equivalent? /usr/bin/mythSetWakeupTime

Mythshutdown can supply the shutdown command the same parameters as the
backend.

Jim.