[mythtv-users] Hum on analog audio to TV

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 07:24:05 UTC 2008

They don't build them that way any more.  They used to put capacitors from
each side of the outlet to the chassis for RF suppression.  The problem was
that this put the chassis at 55 volts.  It really should not have caused
problems to short the grounds together even at that.  May be better to do it
with things unplugged thought so you don't have the charge in the capacitor
to short out.  That is probably what fried your traces.
I once had a similar set.  The little thing in my bathroom that puts the
drain down in the sink kind of wrapped abound the spout.  When you turned
it, you could see sparks.  It was caused by the grounding of the TV going
through the water pipes and somehow having a path through that sink spout.
 It was freaky.

Allen