[mythtv-users] Hum on analog audio to TV

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Fri Oct 24 17:42:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:

> * Connect the grounds of the two devices together. This should eliminate
> the Ground Loop, but may not be possible, as the TV may not have a
> grounding screw/jack (The "Ground" on a PC is the case).
>
> * Finally, if none of those work, you'll need to get an isolation
> transformer.
>
> For more details, see here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29>
> --
> Robert Johnston

I'd look for an isolation transformer before I tried hooking the grounds
from 2 separate devices together.  Some devices use a hot chassis, so
attempting to connect them together could cause a short circuit.

When I was young and stupid, I once connected the ground probe of an
oscilloscope to a television set I was working on.  When I turned the TV on,
I vaporized over 12 inches of copper traces on the board, blew several
components in the power supply section, and set the fire alarm off in the
building.  Needless to say, I never did that again without having an
isolation transformer on hand.  It won't happen very often, but when it
does....

--Darrin