[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 19:32:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 11:58 AM, David Schlenk wrote:
>
> > Not to be a debbie downer or anything but man, I wish I could afford
> > to worry about my 16 disk RAID array for TELEVISION.
> >
> > /jealous.
>
> I think the idea is that you have a 16 disk array for all of your
> storage needs and television happens to be one of them. I imagine a
> future where it's ridiculous to not have a RAID array in your home to
> store/protect important data.

I have a 5 disk RAID 5 array of older 160GB drives for photos and video.
Haven't gone that route for TV because I've had more problems with FS
corruption taking down an entire partition than hard drive failures at this
point.  I like the multi-mounts for TV.  I use RAID 5 for the photos because
they're far more valuable to me.

Kevin