[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Fri Oct 24 19:45:58 UTC 2008

I have been watching the discussion that I kicked off with my post
and I still don't have a good feeling on what we are all supposed to
do for 2009.

I just installed a 4 x 1TB RAID5 array for a net of 3TBs. Given the
URE argument, the next step should be ZFS. However while a less than
optimal, user-space-based, fuse-based, ZFS is available, a
kernel-based ZFS is not currently available or planned because of
licensing issues.

So my questions are:

Going forward, what are best mythtv practices for many large disk drives?

Should we all go out and create OpenSolaris boxes as NAS boxes so we
can get decent ZFS functionality and performance? Should we pray for
ZFS kernel support on Linux per the recent posting of Linux Torvalds
and Jeff Bonwick (ZFS creator) chatting together at Sun HQ? -
http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/Casablanca

Should we just pray that although the statistics say otherwise,
native RAID5 on Linux will not self-destruct when using many large
capacity drives?

Any ideas?

-- Mache