[mythtv-users] Ubuntu runlevel question

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Fri Oct 24 11:32:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:45 AM, jansenj
<jansenj+myth at gmail.com<jansenj%2Bmyth at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> I know this isn't a ubuntu forum, but I am using the mythbuntu distro
> like I'm sure many others in this list are as well, and I wasn't able
> to find an answer on google.
>
> I know in other distos in the past (Fedora 7 for example) I was able
> to use "init 3" from runlevel 5 remotely when having problems with
> graphical stuff either X sessions or vnc sessions.  I would then use
> "init 5" to start back up all the graphical services.  I understand
> ubuntu no longer uses this facility, rather it uses Upstart.  Is there
> a command in Upstart that would achieve something similar to dropping
> to runlevel using an "init 3"?  Basically, I'd rather not have to do
> the windows thing and restart the computer every time there is a
> problem or every time I want something to take effect.  I know I can
> re-initiate an event, but all that appears to be doing is attempting
> to start everything associated with that event again, I want to be
> able to restart all services that were started after a given event.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS at home and I'm certain it's using init.  'ps
aux' shows an init process running, /etc/init.d exists, and telinit is
installed on the system.  At the very least, this would indicate that init
is available for your mythubuntu system and it may be just a matter of
selecting the right packages.

Is there a /etc/init.d directory or something similar?  You could just run
the gdm script to get similar functionality.  'gdm stop' would kill your X
sessions and stop the graphical interface.  Use 'startx' for testing and
then issue a 'gdm start' when you're done to bring the login manager back.