[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 22 21:38:15 UTC 2008

On 10/21/2008 10:02 PM, Dan Christensen wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" writes:

>>> Sounds great!  Can you make this available for others to use?
>>>
>> Another option is to create a channel change script that backgrounds the
>> actual channel change.
>>
> My impression from the discussion I trimmed above is that this could
> like to multiple copies of the channel change script running at the same
> time and simultaneously sending IR signals.  I believe Doug's script
> queues up requests without making the caller wait, so it sounds more
> robust.

Was never a problem for me.  Even when I did have an issue with my
channel changes (due to the IR transmitter hardware I was using), I
modified the "real" channel change script I was using to provide locking
and synchronization (to ensure each channel change finished before the
next started) and logged the output--thinking that may have been causing
the issues.  From the logs, I determined that there was never a
situation where the locking/synch code ever provided any benefit (i.e.
even without it, there would never have been an overlap--even when I
tried to trigger an overlap I couldn't).

But, hey, whichever you want to use--after all, why wait until you have
a problem to write code to fix that (non-existant) problem.  ;)

Mike