[mythtv-users] Hardware questions

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:46:26 UTC 2008

On 10/21/08, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
>> Let me preface my comments by noting what I think of Rogers as a
>> customer ... sad to say, but my comments are not fit for polite
>> company (and not fit for most impolite company...), which seems to be
>> par for many cable companies....
>
> Hey I've got my fair share of Rogers complaints too lol.
>
>> > ASUS P4V8X-MX mobo
>> > 1.2gb ram
>> > P4 3.4ghz EE cpu
>> > 7600 GS AGP card
>> >
>> > 1. I'd say I'm relatively out of the loop with current hardware, so I'm
>> > wondering if there such a mobo that will support any or all of the above
>> > parts but also have the newer PCI Express needed for newer tuner cards?
>>
>> As long as you are only dealing with one HDTV channel at a time what
>> you list should be okay.
>>
>> > 2. Or am I looking at having to get new mobo+cpu+ram+card?
>>
>> Well, a new mobo+cpu+ram+video card will set you back $200+ . I would
>> be making sure your current set-up is unable to do what you want
>> before spending $.
>>
>> > 3. What are the top tuner card(s) that can capture analog+digital\HD
>> > that
>> > work great with Myth?
>>
>> I have heard many nice things said about the HDHomerun. I am currently
>> using a pcHDTV-5500 card, which has analog issues, but does a nice job
>> on over the air digital TV (at least from where I am in mid-town
>> Toronto).
>>

> I think I was asking about whether or not to upgrade my HW because getting a
> new HVR-xxxx card would mean PCI Express, and my current mobo does *not
> *have
> PCIE, hence the need for an upgrade and if so, back to the questions above..
>
> Colin, what do you use for HD? I'm seeing this:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hauppauge_HD-PVR  and thinking I
> might stick with another 150 for now and wait for that to be final in a .22
> release or so...

Well, as noted I am using a pcHDTV-5500 card from these folks:

   www.pchdtv.com/hd_5500.html

The above card gets it's signal from a roof mounted Wingard GS-2200
antenna from these folks:

   winegard.com/offair/sensar.htm

The GS-2200 has a reputation of being a so-so antenna at a reasonable
price, but as I got it off eBay it was a so-so antenna at a great
price :-) . Basicly I am happy with the combo. I am getting roughly 15
digital channels and for the remainder I use a PVR-150 and PVR-350
analog tuners tied to Rogers.

> Bob

Colin.