[mythtv-users] Help with hardware setup

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 12:10:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Chaitanya Atluru <chaituat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>        I just joined this mailing list, I have a couple of questions
> regarding setting up the hardware for the mythtv. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> This is the setup I am looking for:
>
> Backend:
>  An Intel based 2+ Ghz processor, 1GB RAM and 500 GB harddisk. I am planning
> to buy a HD TV tuner card. Any good Linux distribution and Mythtv source.
>
> Frontend:
> I have two HD tvs in two rooms, which are far away from the server. I plan
> to buy two MediaMVP boxes (the new version, which has a 802.11g wireless
> interface).
> I am planning to stream video(and audio) to the HD tv's through these
> MediaMVP boxes and these boxes recieve the stream on the wireless network.
> (is my approach right?)
>
> The questions I have is this:
> 1. Can I stream live TV to both the boxes at the same time? If both the
> boxes intend to view a different channel at once, is it possible for mythtv
> to decode two live channels with just one TV tuner card? or do I need two
> different TV tuner cards?

If you use an HDHomeRun or another tuner card with 2 tuners you can
watch 2 live TV channels a a time.  You can watch more than 1 channel
on the same multiplex at the same time on most HDTV tuners, but the
usefulness of this would depend on how your channels are sent to you.

> 2. Is the Backend system described above sufficient enough for operation in
> point 1.

It will be fine, recording doesn't take much CPU.

> 3. Is 802.11g sufficient to broadcast two channels to two different MVP
> boxes.

Maybe, I watch HD over 802.11g all the time, but I only watch over
wireless on 1 machine (a laptop).  Also, I live in a sparsely
populated area where there aren't many other wireless signals to cause
problems for me.  My microwave also kills the signal when it's
running, which would probably cause problems for a dedicated setup
depending on how close the microwave is.

> 4. How good is the MediaMVP box with mythtv.

I'm pretty sure that the MediaMVP is for standard definition TV so it
would not be appropriate for your setup.  I've never used one but
that's what I've heard.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.