[mythtv-users] Mythtv Record options

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Oct 15 11:02:34 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 14/10/2008, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I maintain the Radio Times XMLTV grabber, and have introduced
>>  > functionality to look for inconsistent titles and subtitles and
>>  > reformat them before the listings data is output. This works well and
>>  > will increase the accuracy of the scheduler in MythTV, but is still
>>  > far from perfect. However, without access to the raw listings, we are
>>  > at the mercy of a data provider upstream to consistently reuse the
>>  > same programme information whenever a particular episode is broadcast.
>>  >
>>  > In my experience, the RT data has been very consistent over the past 4
>>  > years, which allows for recording rules to match new and old showings
>>  > of programmes across channels with a high degree of accuracy.
>>  >

>> Bah. I have been trying to set up a rule for Jools Holland, only the first two
>>  of the series are:
>>
>>  "Later...with Jools Holland"
>>  "Later... with Jools Holland"
>>
>>  - spot the extra space. Do you think I could figure out a way to set up a
>>  schedule which covers both of these? Nope. A custom search does find them both,
>>  but turned into a custom schedule finds nothing consistently. It seeme there are
>>  subtle differences between search terms and schedule terms, beyond the abilities
>>  of my sql-fu.
>>
>>  I ended up with two rules. Would someone care to (1) administer a clue-bat to
>>  the Radio Times (which seems to have gotten worse lately) and (2) enlighten me
>>  how I can ensure I can trap similar variations in the future?
>
> I've been getting no response from the Radio Times for several months
> now, asking for some new Freesat channels and removing known empty
> ones. They did kindly add Propeller TV all by themselves though...
>
> I have just put through a commit for XMLTV/tv_grab_uk_rt which should
> correct any of the bad "Later...with Jools Holland" titles to
> "Later... with Jools Holland" and allow a regular rule to catch all
> episodes (assuming these are the only two variants of the title the RT
> output - more can be added if necessary).
>
> As Yeechang also suggested, I've been using a Title Search
> "Later%Jools Holland" to catch Tuesday's live show and Friday's longer
> programme with a single rule. A custom search could be used to
> restrict the recordings to BBC2 - adding that restriction first before
> title matching should be quicker than adding it after the
> program.title comparison.
>
> Nick

Thanks, Nick. Of course, 'Later' is just one of a number of similar programmes
which we have to deal with in the UK, as I am sure you are well aware. And the
trivial variations in descriptions, which of course the SQL does not see as
trivial make matching even more difficult. That's progress, I suppose. Keep up
the good work.

Propeller TV?

--

Mike Perkins