[mythtv-users] Mythtv Record options

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 23:32:42 UTC 2008

On 14/10/2008, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>  >
>  > I maintain the Radio Times XMLTV grabber, and have introduced
>  > functionality to look for inconsistent titles and subtitles and
>  > reformat them before the listings data is output. This works well and
>  > will increase the accuracy of the scheduler in MythTV, but is still
>  > far from perfect. However, without access to the raw listings, we are
>  > at the mercy of a data provider upstream to consistently reuse the
>  > same programme information whenever a particular episode is broadcast.
>  >
>  > In my experience, the RT data has been very consistent over the past 4
>  > years, which allows for recording rules to match new and old showings
>  > of programmes across channels with a high degree of accuracy.
>  >

> Bah. I have been trying to set up a rule for Jools Holland, only the first two
>  of the series are:
>
>  "Later...with Jools Holland"
>  "Later... with Jools Holland"
>
>  - spot the extra space. Do you think I could figure out a way to set up a
>  schedule which covers both of these? Nope. A custom search does find them both,
>  but turned into a custom schedule finds nothing consistently. It seeme there are
>  subtle differences between search terms and schedule terms, beyond the abilities
>  of my sql-fu.
>
>  I ended up with two rules. Would someone care to (1) administer a clue-bat to
>  the Radio Times (which seems to have gotten worse lately) and (2) enlighten me
>  how I can ensure I can trap similar variations in the future?

I've been getting no response from the Radio Times for several months
now, asking for some new Freesat channels and removing known empty
ones. They did kindly add Propeller TV all by themselves though...

I have just put through a commit for XMLTV/tv_grab_uk_rt which should
correct any of the bad "Later...with Jools Holland" titles to
"Later... with Jools Holland" and allow a regular rule to catch all
episodes (assuming these are the only two variants of the title the RT
output - more can be added if necessary).

As Yeechang also suggested, I've been using a Title Search
"Later%Jools Holland" to catch Tuesday's live show and Friday's longer
programme with a single rule. A custom search could be used to
restrict the recordings to BBC2 - adding that restriction first before
title matching should be quicker than adding it after the
program.title comparison.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott