[mythtv-users] Audio crackles and stutters when playing video/music files through mythtv, not when played directly through the desktop.

Sean Slipetz seanslipetz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:21:13 UTC 2008

Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the mailing list, I tried everything I could
think of to resolev this myself but to no avail. I also posted on the
mythbuntu forums but no luck, so I'm crossing my fingers that someone
here has come across this before..

I have a very odd problem... when playing video files through mythtv
(ie going through Media Library>Watch Videos>Video file.avi) the video
works and the sound is in sync but there is a lot of crackling and it
stutters a bit as well. When I play the same .avi file through
mplayer, vlc or xine the audio is perfect. I have mplayer set as the
deafult player for .avi files in mythtv.

This is the same for music files also, if I play an .mp3 with banshee,
mplayer, etc it works perfect but if I play it in mythmusic it has the
same crackle/stutter, although it seems much worse for music files.

I have tried every combination of choices in the sound settings and
while some do make slight differences (I had one setting that worked
will for music files but changed nothing for the audio on video files)
it seems nothing I do there makes much difference and I can't
understand why it would work when played normally off the desktop but
not with mythtv. I am at my wits end lol.

Is there anyway to make mythtv use the same audio settings that are
setup in my system for these other programs that work?

I am using:
Mythbuntu 8.04.1 with the Gnome desktop installed and I have a dual
core 2.5ghz Athlon 64, 2GB of ddr2 800 on a ASUS M3N78-VM SLI
motherboard that has onboard sound which uses nvidia hda, when I use
the aplay -L  command it lists my audio device as:

default:CARD=NVidia
  HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
  Default Audio Device

  It is surround sound capable but right now I've just got stereo
speakers plugged into the front headphone jack. (I also tried plugging
into the jack on the back but its the same)

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, everything else
about my mythtvbox is coming along quite well but I can't set it up in
my living room until I get this resolved.

I can also provide any other information as needed.

Thanks,
-Sean

ps. The audio is fine when watching livetv or livetv mpeg2 recordings
as the audio goes through my pvr-350.