[mythtv-users] Myth setup for hdtv - config help

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu May 29 11:29:18 UTC 2008

On 5/29/08, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Simon Allcorn <simon.allcorn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>  What I'm after is details on what config changes (frontend and backend) I
>> can make to give me the best chance of playing this HD conetent with no
>> transcoding - I'm lead to believe that my FE box is quick enough (if only
>> just!) to decode this content.
>>
>> *
>> HD source:*
>>
>> UK, BBC HD (1440x1080i 16:9, H.264 with MBAFF)
>>

>> *System:*
>>
>> Frontend: P4 *2.4*Ghz (single core), 1Gb memory , 100Mbit network
>> Backend: P4 Celeron 515Mb memory
>>

> my opinion:
> No way is that fast enough.  Try a 3400+ dual core athlon64 or the like to
> do it with deinterlacing and never dropping frames.

Seconded.  I'm led to believe a 2.3GHz Core2Duo is the minimum to decode BBC
HD with the current state of code.  My front end is a Core2Duo 2.1 (which is
faster than your P4) and it doesn't quite work (I get pauses).  What I do is
use ffmpeg via a user job to transcode to a lower resolution since my
frontend TV is also only 1366x768.  Doesn't help with live tv though.  I'm
sure as the code gets better the requirements will drop, but I don't think
the P4 2.4 will probably ever cut it.