[mythtv-users] Yes, it's overkill, but here is the list for my new machine in planning...

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sun May 11 02:39:19 UTC 2008

This is for a HD frontend/backend in an LC17 case.  As I always try to
do, I specify over what I need to make the investment last as long as
possible.

(Copy and paste from the newegg listings)

-Intel BOXDP35DPM
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
-GIGABYTE GV-NX73G256D-RH GeForce 7300GS 512MB(256MB on Board)
-SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT
-A-DATA 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800
-Seagate SV35.2 ST3500630SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
-EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8080S 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
-Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7190S

Notes:

Motherboard - The board isn't known for being able to do any
overclocking, but who cares?  I'm after rock solid stable.  The CPU
should have more than enough grunt to decode Blu-Ray, when I go that
route.  My main concern was to get the SPDIF out (optical preferred) and
have a good amount of PCI/PCIe slots (tuners, sound card in case the
on-board turns out to be a stinking FPOS, etc).  The fact that the N/S
bridge chips are passively cooled is a bonus.

CPU - gobs of grunt.  I want to avoid XvMC this time around.

Power supply - Seasonic 80+ certified with a bit of headroom for more
tuners/hard drives.  What else needs to be said?

Memory- 1 gig kit for the dual channel effect with heat spreaders.  One
gig is ample in my current set-up, and if I need more, the board
supports four sticks.

Hard drives:  Thought I'd give the "video drives" from Seagate a shot.
The other drive is the OS drive, so I didn't care much about it.  Newegg
had it rated pretty good, so why not, it's inexpensive, and if worse
came to worse, I drop in one of my PATA drives to get it back up and
running.

Optical:  Again, decent drive from a well known company.  Burning
capabilities are not a high priority, but if my wife starts making use
of MythArchive, the WAF goes up and the ability to get more tuners and
storage increases at the same time.  :-D

Video: Nvidia with XvMC support (if I have to use it for whatever
reason) and a component video break out box, passively cooled.

I will be reusing the case and my existing tuners (1st Gen Air2PC and a
pcHD 3000 card), perhaps picking up a newer tuner to replace the Air2PC
or use it in the dev machine (which will be the current hardware).

Any comments or suggestions?