[mythtv-users] xorg.conf Section Extension

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed May 7 19:31:18 UTC 2008

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
<snip>
> Using Standard, xv-bilt, and software combo with linear deinterlacer
> works best for me without XvMC.  However my
> Athlon 2800 XP+ combo system runs at about 90% CPU when decoding HD
> content.  I've played with priorities, real time threads, etc. but have
> not been able to make the HD experience reliable.  Any little thing
> causes pauses.  It used to be a sufficient system but I've added tuners,
> disk space, newer versions of Myth seem to use more CPU.  Thus I thought
> I'd try enabling XvMC and see if that would help.  I want to split the
> system and have been looking at new hardware but it will run between
> $500 - $800 depending upon whether I reassign my current Athlon 64 X2
> 3800 workstation to a Mythfrontend and replace it with an Intel Quad
> Core or just buy a low end Intel Dual Core system for the frontend.  In
> any event, I'd prefer to wait as I don't really need a new workstation
> and if I can watch HD content, my current BE/FE system is adequate.

Probably would be better to move the present box into a backend. It can
clearly handle that.
An Asus P5 series board (upgradeable) would be about $100 while an Intel
Core2 Duo E8200 would run about $200 or less (without memory), Then
there is the Q9300 (2.5G) on a 45nm die which runs $330. Interestingly
the Q6700 which is 2.66G quad core on 65nm die is $300.00. Not much
speed gain, hotter and with a slower FSB to the other one, for only $30
off.

Yes, I happen to be drooling over some new hardware. THe present mythbox
motherboard would end up here as my desktop...

Geoff