[mythtv-users] xorg.conf Section Extension

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue May 6 21:37:30 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to enable XvMC on a Nvidia FX 5500 card.  I've followed
>> the instructions on the wiki
>> (http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#NVIDIA_2).  My question is
>> regarding adding these lines to my xorg.conf file:
>>
>> Section "Extensions"
>>     Option "Composite" "Disabled"
>> EndSection
>>
>> What do these lines mean?  "Section Extensions" is not in the xorg.conf
>> man page.  Googling reveals lots of advice to *enable* it for Compiz but
>> no explanation of what it does.
>>

> Actually it IS in the xorg.conf man, but buried in the section on 'Load
> Modules'.
> Since by default (on nvidia and intel) all of the extension modules are
> loaded, this section allows you to turn off modules which are not wanted.

Thanks but I'm still not seeing it in the man page.  But no matter, your
explanation makes sense.

>> My experience is that when this section is in my xorg.conf, chromakey
>> works.  With chromakey working, I don't get nearly as much audio stutter
>> when the OSD is on.  Also, the picture looks like it has been
>> deinterlaced.  However the Off | Half | Full | Stretch view modes do not
>> work properly.  Left and right cropping is OK but vertical cropping is
>> only cropped from the top.  The bottom is not cropped.  This feature is
>> important to me because I have a widescreen television and use the Full
>> mode when viewing letterboxed content.  I hate watching a small picture
>> in the middle of my screen.  ;)
>>
>> When this section is not in my xorg.conf file, chromakey doesn't work as
>> evidenced by this snippet of my frontend log:
>>
>> 2008-05-06 11:15:18.338 VideoOutputXv: XvMC Adaptor Name: 'NV17 Video
>> Texture'
>> 2008-05-06 11:15:18.388 VideoOutputXv: Ack! Disabling ChromaKey OSD
>>                         We can't use ChromaKey OSD if chromakeying is
>> not supported!
>>
>> Thus the audio is very choppy anytime the OSD is displayed.  However the
>> Off | Half | Full | Stretch view mode work just fine.
>>
>> Is there anyway I can have both chromakey and proper cropping?  I've
>> included my xorg.conf for the nvidia 169.12 drivers below.
>>

> It does not appear so. I have no idea why Stretch does not work, even
> when you are using Chromakey. You might try playing with all of the
> settings in Playback Profiles, noting that Bob is the only filter which
> works with XvMC. I presume you are using IA444 (or whatever that one is)
> when you are not using Chromakey. There is another one...Softkey??

I've tried all settings in playback profiles.  Only ones that work for
me for XvMC is Standard XvMC and xvmc-bilt.  I pick chromakey for the
OSD renderer but suspect it is using la44blend when chromakey is
unavailable.  OSD fade is off.  Audio stutter is very minor when the OSD
is displayed.  Neither Bob nor onefield deinterlacing will work for me.