[mythtv-users] Storage Group configuration, sanity check

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 7 05:43:30 UTC 2008

On 05/06/2008 08:46 PM, Billy Macdonald wrote:
> I purchased a new 750G drive.  My plan is to copy all of /var/storage
> to my new drive, delete the LVM, and have the default storage group
> with 4 directories to record.  So it would end up like below:
>
> Before:
> /var/storage        /dev/VolMyth/lvol1
>
>    Default storage group with /var/storage/mythtv
>
> After
> /var/storage                 /dev/sdb1  (750GB)
> /var/storage/mythtv_2   /dev/sda3  (250GB)
> /var/storage/mythtv_3   /dev/hda1  (250GB)
> /var/storage/mythtv_4   /dev/hdc1  (250GB)
>
>     Default storage group would contain /var/storage/mythtv,
> /var/storage/mythtv_2, /var/storage/mythtv_3, /var/storage/mythtv_4

You really shouldn't put the root directory of the filesystem into a
storage group.  Make a subdirectory and put it in the storage group.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/317235#317235

> Also it's my understanding that Myth will try to keep these
> filesystems even as far as free disk space, is that correct?

Yep.  Pretty much.

> My fear is this.   Nothing is set to autoexpire.  For some reason all
> the shows that we watch and delete are on disks 1-3 and disk 4 ends up
> filling up.  Four shows are being recorded but disk 4 doesn't have
> enough space for the file.  Is it smart enough to not use disk 4 or
> will it crash and burn?

Yep.

>   If so has anyone written a free space
> leveling type script that can be run overnight?

Not necessary, though as long as hostname doesn't change, you can move
around files to your heart's content.

Mike