[mythtv-users] Storage Group configuration, sanity check

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Wed May 7 00:46:54 UTC 2008

Hello,

    I'm planning to change the way my mythtv handles its hard drives
and want to make sure I'm not going to mess up my files.

    I currently have a three drives combined via LVM and mounted on
/var/storage.  Mythtv saves files to /var/storage/mythtv.

I purchased a new 750G drive.  My plan is to copy all of /var/storage
to my new drive, delete the LVM, and have the default storage group
with 4 directories to record.  So it would end up like below:

Before:
/var/storage        /dev/VolMyth/lvol1

   Default storage group with /var/storage/mythtv

After
/var/storage                 /dev/sdb1  (750GB)
/var/storage/mythtv_2   /dev/sda3  (250GB)
/var/storage/mythtv_3   /dev/hda1  (250GB)
/var/storage/mythtv_4   /dev/hdc1  (250GB)

    Default storage group would contain /var/storage/mythtv,
/var/storage/mythtv_2, /var/storage/mythtv_3, /var/storage/mythtv_4

Also it's my understanding that Myth will try to keep these
filesystems even as far as free disk space, is that correct?  That is
how I understood the Wiki on SG weighting.  We typically don't
autoexpire anything other than LiveTV recordings.  We delete the shows
manually to keep an adequate buffer of free space.

My fear is this.   Nothing is set to autoexpire.  For some reason all
the shows that we watch and delete are on disks 1-3 and disk 4 ends up
filling up.  Four shows are being recorded but disk 4 doesn't have
enough space for the file.  Is it smart enough to not use disk 4 or
will it crash and burn?  If so has anyone written a free space
leveling type script that can be run overnight?

Thanks for the pre-help,

Billy